Musselburgh is the largest settlement in East Lothian, Scotland, on the coast of the Firth of Forth, 6 miles east of Edinburgh city centre. The population of Musselburgh is 21,900.
Musselburgh is situated at the mouth of the River Esk, running alongside the eastern bank in a north east direction. Fisherrow occupies the west bank of the Esk and originated as an irregular line of fishermen's houses along the shore near the harbour. The communities are connected by 7 bridges.
The name, Musselburgh, derives from the extensive mussel beds which lie along its shore on the Firth of Forth. The town dates back to Roman times when they built a fortress on Inveresk Hill. The Coat of Arms for Musselburgh is made up of 3 mussels and 3 anchors. As already mentioned the mussels refer to the origins of the burgh. The anchors refer to the fishing tradition of the community.
Musselburgh Racecourse (the oldest in Scotland) has been a venue for racing since 1816. It was originally known as Edinburgh Races with meetings held on Leith sands, which then moved on to the attractive meadows setting at Musselburgh where it has been ever since. The Racecourse is also home to the historic 9-hole Musselburgh Links which was host to the first Open Golf Championship. It is also home to Musselburgh Athletic Football Club.
Free Property Valuation Musselburgh
Thinking of selling or letting your property in Musselburgh?
Try our local Musselburgh Estate Agents
RE/MAX Property Marketing Centre II
9-10 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, EH2 2AF
Phone: +44 (0) 131 278 0508